Skip to main content

A Drag Last Supper?

At the opening ceremony, for the 2024 Paris Summer Olympics, the organizers/choreographers had various pieces of art involved. They literally carried the Olympic Flame through the galleries of the Louve. As part of the nod to fashion and to demonstrate the welcome to everyone, a runway was set up on a bridge where people, representing many groups, sat, danced and walked the runway. 

At one point there was a group of performers sitting at the runway. I'll admit that I thought that it was a nod to the Last Supper painting by DaVinci. But as I looked at the setting and especially after I looked at all of the screen grabs going around, I was pretty certain that it wasn't a live enactment of DaVinci's work. Instead, it was more of a nod to a Greek tradition - a loud party, called a bacchanalia. Are there some artworks that depict this ancient Greek tradition in a similar style and setting as DaVinci's work? Sure.

I say all of this because in less than a few hours of the opening ceremonies airing in America, people became keyboard warriors and had to "defend Christianity" from this latest "attack." Dear keyboard warriors of Christianity - tell me how your faith was attacked? Or is it more that you feel like you're being attacked and don't want to ask clarifying questions, in an effort to become informed on a particular situation? I'm going with the second.

As this blog clearly states, I'm a Christian pastor, raised in Protestant Christianity. I was not offended by the Opening Ceremonies. I didn't see Christianity being attacked. Our keyboard Christians thought a drag queen sitting on the side of a runway/table was mocking Jesus. That wasn't what was happening. 

What was happening was Paris trying to show a spirit of welcome, the spirit of the Olympics, an attempt to unite. Keyboard warriors are attempting to divide and judge. Keyboard warriors are trying to say that certain groups, drag queens in particular, are not welcome in places of faith. I know many faithful drag performers and they are welcome at my table.

But I have a further question dear offended keyboard warriors of the faith: did you protest and get offended when the Simpsons did reenact DaVinci's Last Supper and replace Jesus and the Disciples with characters from the show? Were you offended when people created and then sold an image of Donald J. Trump as Jesus in DaVinci's Last Supper? I'm having a really hard time finding much outrage about either of these Last Supper depictions. So why is one bad and the other good? 

And what if drag performers did reenact The Last Supper? People have always wanted to see themselves reflected in art and religion. Jesus has been depicted in many ways - a reminder that Jesus was not white with blue eyes. The image of the Jesus at the table with the disciples has also been depicted in many ways. It's not an attack or mockery. It's a faithful expression of people seeing God, seeing Jesus as themselves. I for one am thankful for this.

So, keyboard warriors of the faith, take a breath, take a break from typing. Please learn a little about history and art. Please reflect on your faith and why you get to decide how faith is depicted for everyone. And let's enjoy the Olympics - a time of unity that is so sorely needed. 

Also - if any drag performers want to come and do a Last Supper reenactment with me sometime - I'm so down for this. Let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Pastor and I'm Fat

For new readers and those who don't know me, I'm fat. Medically labeled "morbidly obese." I have always been fat since I can remember. It's a multifaceted part of my reality: it's part my choice, part genetics. I am well aware that I need to work on this. I'm reminded every time I go to the doctor: need a flu shot - you're fat. Have an ear infection - you're fat. Cat bite - discharge instructions start with you're morbidly obese (I'm not kidding). You lost weight and still think something's off - loose more weight. I have been working on addressing my weight and have managed to loose and keep off just under 80 pounds. Do I still have a lot more weight to loose? Yup. I didn't become this size overnight and taking this off won't happen overnight either. A few weeks ago, a friend stopped by to visit me on their journey to vacation. As they were preparing to leave, I get stopped and asked to sit. I was told that they're concerne

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

10 Commandments in Classrooms

In June 2024. Louisiana Governor, Jeff Landry, signed a bill that requires the 10 Commandments, along with other historical documents, be displayed in all state funded K-12 and university classrooms by 2025. While this seems like a harmless thing and a way to strengthen or bring back the "moral fabric" of America, I stand in opposition to this law and the similar bills that are floating around several states. First - I have a hard time claiming the Protestant, Christian bible as a historical document. While some of the stories contained in the bible can be found in other accounts, that are in fact historical documents, the bible as a whole is not historical. As we know the Protestant, Christian bible - it is not in chronical order. There are multiple accounts of several stories within the bible. And from what scholars have found, the authors of the Protestant, Christian bible never claimed to be documenting history. They are sharing their experiences and trying to answer ques