Skip to main content

A Pastor's Take on Project 2025

 It's getting close to the 2024 elections and I'm tired already. American society seems to be crumbling, and I feel that regardless of how things play out, it's going "to get real."

But nevertheless, it's time for me to speak out on Project 2025. I have tried for months to read the document because I want to be informed. But there is not enough blood pressure medicine in the world to allow me to read it all. It boils my blood, and I would argue it should most Christian's as well.

When you go to their website it opens with "Project 2025 is a historic movement, brought together by over 100 respected organizations from across the conservative movement, to take down the Deep State and return the government to the people." What is the Deep State? As far as I know there is no Deep State but let's scare people into thinking there is.

Who are these 100 respected organizations? They are organizations like the American Family Association, Family Policy Alliance, Liberty University, Moms for Liberty, Tea Party Patriots to name a few. Common theme is that all of these organizations want to strip individuals of basic rights that cis-gender, white, males have benefited from. There are some organizations that represent BIPOC communities, but their policies still would strip rights from another group.

But back to Project 2025. In short, it's described as a playbook of actions to be taken in the first 180 days of the new administration so American suffering will be relieved from the Left - or Obama and Biden era policies. Around 920 pages has been drafted, laying out the repeals, defunding, dismantling of current policies and federal agencies and calls for what the new administration should put into place, either by congressional vote or executive order by the new president. 

What's on the line: abolishing the Department of Education, dismantling the Department of Homeland Security, going back to relying on fossil fuels and rolling back environmental protection policies, cutes to Medicare and Medicaid, women's health regulations, terminating DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) programs and allowing for sexual and gender identity discrimination. This is a very short list. I don't see an area of American society that wouldn't be affected by this playbook getting used.

This "project" will hurt people more than it will help anyone who isn't in the top 1% of the American economy. And the worst is that this will target those who are "meek," "the lowly," "the most vulnerable among us." Cutting affordable healthcare and healthcare period to individuals is not caring for the vulnerable. Walking about any progress American society has made in regard to our racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic past (and present) doesn't tend to the outsider or stranger as Jesus talks about in the Gospels so often. 

To be clear, a vote for Trump is a vote for this policy. Despite Trump trying to distance himself from Project 2025, it should be clear that this policy was drafted by those loyal to Trump and those who are willing to bankroll him. Project 2025 is not a Christian policy. When it causes harm, hatred, division, and a repeat of a sinful past, it is not of God. 

I get that the American political system is broken and it should never have become a 2-party system. I get that there's not a perfect candidate running and that someone will be on "losing end" but we American Christians can and must do better than Project 2025. We have to think about others, those generations yet to come, and not just ourselves. We need to remember that even if we don't like something in a current policy, we don't have to engage it. Don't like Medicaid - don't use it. Don't like abortion - don't get one. But don't rule out what you don't like for everyone else.

Let us pray for level heads as we continue our path to election day. May we stop using violence of all kinds, on both sides, and work to truly bring the Kin-dom of God here and now on earth. May we remember to care for the other as much or more than we care for ourselves. And may we learn to not repeat the sins of our past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Pastor and I'm Fat

For new readers and those who don't know me, I'm fat. Medically labeled "morbidly obese." I have always been fat since I can remember. It's a multifaceted part of my reality: it's part my choice, part genetics. I am well aware that I need to work on this. I'm reminded every time I go to the doctor: need a flu shot - you're fat. Have an ear infection - you're fat. Cat bite - discharge instructions start with you're morbidly obese (I'm not kidding). You lost weight and still think something's off - loose more weight. I have been working on addressing my weight and have managed to loose and keep off just under 80 pounds. Do I still have a lot more weight to loose? Yup. I didn't become this size overnight and taking this off won't happen overnight either. A few weeks ago, a friend stopped by to visit me on their journey to vacation. As they were preparing to leave, I get stopped and asked to sit. I was told that they're concerne

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

10 Commandments in Classrooms

In June 2024. Louisiana Governor, Jeff Landry, signed a bill that requires the 10 Commandments, along with other historical documents, be displayed in all state funded K-12 and university classrooms by 2025. While this seems like a harmless thing and a way to strengthen or bring back the "moral fabric" of America, I stand in opposition to this law and the similar bills that are floating around several states. First - I have a hard time claiming the Protestant, Christian bible as a historical document. While some of the stories contained in the bible can be found in other accounts, that are in fact historical documents, the bible as a whole is not historical. As we know the Protestant, Christian bible - it is not in chronical order. There are multiple accounts of several stories within the bible. And from what scholars have found, the authors of the Protestant, Christian bible never claimed to be documenting history. They are sharing their experiences and trying to answer ques