Skip to main content

Commencement Speach 2024

I am not speaking at anyone's commencement and/or baccalaureate. But in light of a certain American football kicker's commencement speech, I thought that I would offer my own. Enjoy!

Congratulations Class of 2024! You've made it. You have survived a global pandemic, an insurrection, the increase of technology and AI, serious conversations about personhood and the rights of each and every person, global weather phenomena's and so much more. I don't know about y'all but I'm tired. But you've made it. You're here. And if no one else tells you this, know that I am proud of you and I am cheering you on in whatever positive and good things you choose to do as you go forward. Remember to stay healthy and safe and that your actions can and do affect others so please don't only think of yourself. 

You will never stop being inundated with messages from others about what you should do and be, how you should do those things and how you should be as person. You will never not have someone or some entity trying to tell you that you need to be this or that. And while sometimes those people and those suggestions may be helpful, know and embrace your right and your power to call BS. 

You are created to be you and only you. You know yourself and body the best. Be bold; be brave to say no to the outside forces that will tell you to be this or that. Be bold, be brave to embrace your own truth about who you are now, who you are becoming and will be and your path to get there. 

Some may tell you that the world, American society, has sold you lies or a bill of goods that goes against this, that and/or the other. And maybe that's true. But maybe not. If you feel called to be a stay-at-home parent, do that with all your heart, soul and mind. If you are called to be the best partner/spouse and that is how you want to live your life, then bless you on that. Do that with all your being. But do it in your own way, not because you feel like to have to do it a certain way or because certain people expect you to do it. Do that because that is how you feel fulfilled in that part of your life marked vocation or calling. 

Note that I say "part" of your life. Let me interject that your vocation/call/job is only a part of your life. It is not your whole identity. You are to be you and you has many passions, skills, hobbies, and things you enjoy. Do not let one thing be the only thing you are. Let it be a part of you. Let it be a part that helps complete the beautiful work you are.

Okay back to where I was. If you are called to work outside of your home, whatever home looks like for you, that is great. I would argue that America is the place where you get to have the freedom to be whoever you want to be. You get the opportunity to break out of boxes or to stay in some if you need be. Trust me, there will be times when you will want to get in a box and maybe you should stay in a box. Trust your gut. But when you know, in your inner most being, that it's time to bust out, to leave, to set healthy boundaries and stick to them, do it. Do it! Do not feel bad about it. Own your worth as a human being because you are worthy. 

Know that it is okay to not have a 5 or 10- or 20-year plan. Have dreams and goals. Work towards them. If having a plan works for you, great. And I'm not saying don't think about retirement and those dream trips and how you'll get there. But what I am saying is don't hold on so tightly to those plans that you miss things. The last 4 years has shown us that we cannot know what tomorrow will look like. Plans were made and remade and made again and thrown out. It is okay to get rid of the plan and just focus on surviving. It is okay to write the most basic things on your to-do list/plan for the day just so you can cross them off. Brushed teeth - check. Checked the mail - check. It is okay and we need to normalize celebrating the little things too. Yes, celebrate the big things. If you've passed your MCAT - party. If you've landed your dream job - party. But sometimes, some days you need to give yourself and others grace and celebrate that you got out of bed. That you're breathing. Some days that is all any of us can do. Celebrate that you're doing your best and if that gets you through the day, I celebrate you. I am proud of you, and I am glad you did what you could, when you could. 

Class of 2024 go out into the world and change it. Make it better. Don't hurt yourself or others. Be flexible. But most importantly, be you. You are exactly who the world needs you to be and to become. And call BS when the times arise. I am so proud of you! So may it be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Pastor and I'm Fat

For new readers and those who don't know me, I'm fat. Medically labeled "morbidly obese." I have always been fat since I can remember. It's a multifaceted part of my reality: it's part my choice, part genetics. I am well aware that I need to work on this. I'm reminded every time I go to the doctor: need a flu shot - you're fat. Have an ear infection - you're fat. Cat bite - discharge instructions start with you're morbidly obese (I'm not kidding). You lost weight and still think something's off - loose more weight. I have been working on addressing my weight and have managed to loose and keep off just under 80 pounds. Do I still have a lot more weight to loose? Yup. I didn't become this size overnight and taking this off won't happen overnight either. A few weeks ago, a friend stopped by to visit me on their journey to vacation. As they were preparing to leave, I get stopped and asked to sit. I was told that they're concerne

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

10 Commandments in Classrooms

In June 2024. Louisiana Governor, Jeff Landry, signed a bill that requires the 10 Commandments, along with other historical documents, be displayed in all state funded K-12 and university classrooms by 2025. While this seems like a harmless thing and a way to strengthen or bring back the "moral fabric" of America, I stand in opposition to this law and the similar bills that are floating around several states. First - I have a hard time claiming the Protestant, Christian bible as a historical document. While some of the stories contained in the bible can be found in other accounts, that are in fact historical documents, the bible as a whole is not historical. As we know the Protestant, Christian bible - it is not in chronical order. There are multiple accounts of several stories within the bible. And from what scholars have found, the authors of the Protestant, Christian bible never claimed to be documenting history. They are sharing their experiences and trying to answer ques