Skip to main content

2021 Update

 So I haven't blogged in awhile. I just couldn't write about so much because it was too real and raw and just flat out hurt on so many levels. I'll share more about things as time goes on but not at the moment.

So here's a brief life update.

2020 was a year that no one predicted. Covid 19 became a global pandemic. It meant that church had to be different because it wasn't safe to be around people for the year. Wearing facemasks and washing hands became a political issue - this I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

Iowa experienced a derecho - a new word for me. It's basically an inland hurricane. The derecho devastated a lot of Iowa. Belle Plaine was without power for more than a week. I became the unofficial relief coordinator for the town and that expanded into surrounding areas. I'm really happy to not see a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for awhile but hey people got fed. I spent three weeks hosting various mission groups from the Seventh Day Adventist tradition - folks I wouldn't have met any other way. I saw a lot of good come out in spite of people having half a home, no home and so much other destruction. Rebuilding still continues today for so many people so please continue to support long term recovery programs and organizations. Also check your insurance policies to make sure they cover more then you think you will need.

In July of 2020 I started the search and call process to find a new church to pastor. It wasn't a comfortable or easy decision, but it was one that I needed for my soul. At the end of November I was called to pastor St. John's UCC in Council Bluffs, Iowa. This was exciting news with a congregation looking to revitalize itself and grow. But this meant saying goodbye to my church family in Belle Plaine. 

When I made the announcement to the congregation, they decided to close permanently. This broke my heart. I knew it was coming in the life of the congregation, but I wasn't expecting it to come when I left. So I learned how to close a church and helped the congregation close in about 6 weeks. The building and parsonage were sold to a newer church start in Belle Plaine, the church created a scholarship fund in Belle Plaine for students that will live on for a really long time, and donated the rest of their assets to other congregations and 501c3 charities - both local and nationally. This also meant I left my position with the Central Association Committee on Ministry - a part of my ministry that I loved doing - church nerd! And I had to leave my Girl Scout troop in Belle Plaine. I miss my girls but I know that they are in great hands.

I officially moved and started at St. John's UCC in Council Bluffs, IA on February 1, 2021. This has also been a learning curve. Moving during a global pandemic was different. Being a new minister in town has been really different since I'm meeting most people via Zoom meetings and with facemasks. I will say it is nice to have good coffee and a wide variety of restaurants within a 10 to 15 minute drive of me - even though I still really dislike shopping. St. John's will be going back to in person worship on May 23, which is exciting but also nerve wrecking. 

So my dog, Ty, and I are doing alright. We are settling in and figuring out life in Council Bluffs. Ty has only had 1 unauthorized outing - scariest hour of my life in a long time. I am using my maps app on my phone less and less the more I go. I'm slowly meeting new clergy friends and I'm figuring out how to do ministry with a new group of people.

I'm wishing and praying you all the best in 2021. I'm hopeful that Covid 19 will become less scary and less of a risk as more people get vaccinated. I'm praying that 2020 has made society realize that our priorities have been off for a long time and we need to look at how we do things so we can use our resources wisely. I'm hoping that we will continue to work to address systemic injustices for so many people and let people just be who they are without fear of being reduced to less than in one form or another. 

Be well everyone! Wash your hands often and wear your masks please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people