Skip to main content

A Lifetime Member Responds to BS of America Decision

I want to begin this post by saying that I greatly respect both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, their programming, their structures, their leadership, and goals and values. Those things are not up for debate to me, because I and my family have benefited from both systems. I’m a lifetime member of the Girl Scouts with 25 years in the organization,  both as a girl and now as an adult volunteer in multiple capacities across two councils. My twin brother was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout, my father helped in all levels from den meetings all the way up to pack meetings and trips, and both of my parents helped lead Explorer Scouts, now Venture Scouts.  Even as girls, my sister and I both participated in several Ventur Scout activities.  I have seen many changes in both organizations over the last 25+ years and believe both programs have a lot to offer.

 This past week, the board of Boy Scouts of America voted to allow girls to join their program at all age levels, not just at the Venture Scout level. This decision has come after much debate and requests from some parents and families wanting to simplify the scouting experience for their families.

So here’s my take on things as I see them and feel free to disagree. Ultimately will this decision radically change scouting for both boys and girls? No. Both organizations are going to continue with what they have historically been, organizations that serve youth and strive to teach foundational skills. Both organizations will continue to deal with the ebb and flow of membership, both seeing decline in the last decade.  Both organizations will continue to struggle with staying relevant and current to the needs of both boys and girls, while trying to compete with a multitude of other events and activities that complete for family and individual’s time. And as a leader and volunteer, I don’t see a big difference coming my way.

But here’s where I become concerned about this move on the Boy Scouts part. After reading how this rollout will come, here’s what I’ve learned and feel free to check the Boy Scouts of America’s website for more information. Dens,  the groups of youngest boys, will continue to be separated based on gender. Packs can decide whether or not they will choose to admit girls or stay single gender. 2019 will be the rollout for the older girl program, that will allow girls to earn the coveted Eagle Scout award. This seems to be reasonable as Boy Scouts make this transition. I do have a question though. If girls can do anything that boys can do, why are dens still going to be separated and packs given the option to stay single gender? And if this decision is about gender equality, why does the older girl program still need to be created in order to allow girls to earn the Eagle Scout award? Why can’t existing programming just be used? What needs to be created?

Something does seem to be a little off in how this is being presented once you look at the details of the plan. Will I get a straight answer for my question in the future? I don’t know and that’s really up to the Boy Scouts to decide to answers my questions are not. But I would venture to say that this decision has more to do with declining membership, which equals a decline in income and revenue then it does about really serving more people and being a more family-friendly organization. I would also like to know how Boy Scouts responsed to both scientific and psychological data and studies that clearly demonstrate that both sexes, but in particular girls, need to spend time in single gender environments. That time in single gender environments provides opportunities for both genders to feel comfortable and safe to deal with a multitude of issues that they must face in growing up in society today. This single gender time doesn’t have to be an all day, every day exposure, it is important especially for girls do you know where they can go to find like-minded, same gender girls just share their experiences, to come up with solutions to their problems, and also to find role models in leadership to help them navigate a difficult world.

Let me be clear, Girl Scouts is not for everyone. There are plenty of girls and adults who have been a part of Girl Scouts of USA and have not enjoyed the experience and want nothing more to do with Girl Scouts. And while I’m sad to hear this, I wish them well and hope that they find an organization better suited to their needs. Just a quick reminder,  Girl Scouts has been welcoming to the LGBTQ community for both girls and leaders, long before BS opened their organization. Also boys have been able to be a Girl Scout if they’ve choosen for years. Girl Scouts just didn’t make the news about those decisions, and that’s okay on most levels in my book.

But also there is been a lot of discussion about Boy Scouts can do so much more than Girl Scouts. So let me take a quick second to say that really the only thing the Girl Scouts are not allowed to do that Boy Scouts can is fire guns. It’s an insurance issue and I know some people have figured out ways around it but that is truly the only thing Girl Scouts cannot do, that Boy Scouts do. We are more than a cookie selling, craft making, spa day having, song singing organization. Yes we do all of those things but we also do camping, survival skills, canoeing, hiking, archery, outdoor cooking, first aid CPR, and so much more. We have psychologist, education experts, and the girls themselves tell us what they want to do and we build programming around their wants and desires. We structure it in an age-appropriate way that meets girls physical, emotional, and psychological needs.  At the troop level girls are encouraged to make decisions about how their troop is structured and what they do each program year.  Girl Scouts is set up so that we give folks a basic outline, a starting point for what troops can do but they are not limited to that program. We can choose to do other things as long as we remain safe while doing them. Ultimately, if a parent or a girl feels that they are not doing what they thought they would, they have every right to request a transfer to a different troop, they can start their own troop. And Girl Scouts do you offer higher awards similar to the Eagle Scout. Starting as soon as fourth grade, girls can earn the Bronze Award, sixth grade the Silver Award, and nineth grade the Gold Award.  I promise you these awards are just as challenging to earn as the Eagle Scout award.

So this is a long winded blog post, but I think before people who don’t understand both programs rush to make snap decisions, there needs to be a lot more research done about both programs and also what the decision by Boy Scouts of America really means and looks like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people