Skip to main content

Kate's Epiphany Epistle

I can’t believe 2009 is over. It has truly been a busy year for me. I started it off by attending an immersion experience class that spent 15 days touring Kentucky’s Appalachia looking at the issues of faith, health and economics. Headed up by Pacific School of Religion this was a truly beautiful experience. I learned so much about an area that was only 2 hours away from where I was residing. I also meet many new people and am blessed to have been touched by the PSR community and faculty.

In May I completed my last on site classes for Lexington Theological Seminary and in June started my Clinical Pastoral Education course at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Lexington. It was a busy and challenging 11 weeks, but the 5 other classmates and I became a family. Although we may have wanted to kill each other at times, we pushed each other and I believe we’re all better people now because of the experience. I know that my ministry will be forever shaped by the people I meet and ministered with.

After 9 great years I left Lexington and returned to Des Moines, IA. I was ordained September 26 at my home congregation, Capitol Hill Christian Church (DOC). This was a milestone that at times I thought I would never reach. The journey to that moment was one that has made me a stronger person. And although I may not have enjoyed every moment in the process I can see how much I have learned and am thankful to know God in new ways.

I now work for Mosaic, a non-for-profit agency that works with adults with various levels of mental retardation. I have roughly 10 clients I work with in 3 different homes. I help teach my clients how to live independently and to gain skills so they can eventually go to hourly assistance and maybe live independently. I’ve been fortunate to work on my bowling, although I still bowl around 120 with bumpers, and my karaoke skills with my clients.

I’ve also moved back home with my parents. This has been quite the experience learning to live with other people again and in particular my parents. My brother Robert has also moved back home. The house has been remodeled so it better fits the needs of both my parents and I am glad that the banging and pounding of work has finished. I’m also learning what cold is again with 3 snowfalls already.

As I look to 2010 I can’t wait to return to Lexington in May to officially receive my diploma. I’m also hoping to finish my search and call process and to be called to a church. I plan on search nationwide and am excited at the possibility of seeing a new part of the country.

As you prepare for 2010, I wish you all of the best and thank you for your continued love and support.

Peace and Blessings in the new year,
Kate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people