Skip to main content

My Christian Perspective on the Overturn of Roe v. Wade

 On Friday, June 24, 2022, the US Supreme Court ruled, in a 6/3 decision, to repeal Roe v. Wade - the 1973 ruling that federally protected a women's right to full reproductive healthcare, including abortion, on the basis of the right to privacy. I have been fairly quiet on the subject and a few folks have asked me about my thoughts. 

First let me address why I took time to respond to this decision. It is not a surprise that I am a Pro Choice, female, ordained clergy person. I have been for over 21 years (yes, my thoughts and perspectives changed a while ago on the subject). I have written countless federal and state legislators, sat in elected people's offices waiting to speak with those elected to represent me, spoken before state legislator committees and hearings, signed petitions, financially supported groups that work hard to ensure a woman's choice to full reproductive healthcare. I have done a lot of work, shared from what feels like my core. Friday's decision, no surprise after May's leaked draft opinion, still hurt like hell. 

It hurt me for so many reasons. I know that several states had trigger laws in place and now in 8 states abortion, in all cases, is illegal. Many other states are pushing legislation to outlaw abortion. This now will force women who need this medical care to spend more time and money to attempt to access the healthcare they and their doctors have decided are right for them. It hurts that my rights and the rights of those who need this type of healthcare have been stripped from me, and that I am not trusted to make decisions about my own health. It hurts because a certain type of Christian faith is being used to cause harm to others and is being flaunted in the media as "the Christian perspective." To be clear these Christians don't speak for me and are not "the Christian perspective." However, I can no longer fully live out my faith in this area because conservatives have declared my religious freedom to not count. It hurts because I feel like my beliefs, thoughts, perspective, education don't matter.  So, I needed time to just cry and mourn and to try to regroup and find the energy needed to speak.

I'll be honest, I'm still feeling the shock, worry and so many other big feelings about this reversal. But let me say that full healthcare, for all people, is a human right for all people. The government has no business in telling anyone what they can and can't do with their bodies. The government has no business in the conversation between a medical professional and their patients. This reversal of Roe v. Wade is a direct assault on so many people and is a power grab. It is based on misinformation and a refusal to understand the literal life and death situations that will be created. Medical schools will lose their accreditation because they won't be able to full train the medical students in the full range of healthcare procedures, therefore we will be worsening the healthcare provider shortages we have in the US. 

As a faith leader, I am horrified with how my faith tradition has been weaponized to strip people of their humanity. I am angry that the sacred text of my faith has been cherry picked to strip people of dignity, love and being recognized as fully human. I am furious that my faith continues to be called "sinful" and "an abomination" because it is not the exact same as others. In a democracy, what the US is supposed to be, we all are supposed to have the ability to practice our faith, but that faith is not to be the government - we are not a theocracy. And it feels that a minority of people are creating a theocracy based on a (in my opinion) dangerous reading of select Bible verses and not looking at the whole Bible. It's an effort to maintain power by any means necessary, by a few, instead of creating the Kin-dom of God where all are loved and celebrated.

So what are my next steps: I will continue to monitor my mental health - as we all should because this is exhausting and frustrating and (insert a long list of feeling words here). But I'm also going to go back to supporting organizations like Planned Parenthood and NAPRAL to leverage efforts to protect a person's right to access all healthcare without government interference. I will continue to sign petitions, march, write letters and educate others about full and inclusive healthcare for all. I'll be visiting my elected officials, as many attempt to call special sessions to pass anti-abortion bills (Mike Flood, Gov. Pete Ricketts you're at the top of my list because I see you and your awful plans). I will continue to read and reflect upon the Bible and other foundational and informational texts of my Christian faith to study and try to understand my faith. I will provide the support any person needs as they attempt to navigate these trying/stressful/infuriating times. I hope you'll join me.

O God, may our rage, frustration, and all other emotions, not keep us stagnate for long. Help us to tend to ourselves, so that we can do the holy and hard work before us. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

Pastor, When Are You Going to Get Married?

As a pastor, folks feel the need to share things with me, whether they are appropriate or not. A common phrase I've heard off and on during my ministry, and it has gained a grand reprise now that I am the last of my siblings to be single, is "pastor, when are you going to get married?" My most "favorite" incarnation of this came when the church board was asking about my insurance coverage and it was suggested that I should get married to a guy who has a good plan I could join. Creative...maybe. Had that thought crossed my mind? Yes but I also never said that out loud and never planned on that being a solution. So if folks really want to know when I'm going to get married here is the long answer: I will get marred when I find the right person to marry. The right person will be a man who can handle and respect the fact that I am fat and an ordained minister. The right person will be a man who can handle and respect the fact that I am not here to be a challe