Skip to main content

I'm a Pastor and I Will Disappoint

I have a confession: I will disappoint people as a pastor. This is a reality I live almost daily. I see it when I'm introduced by my last name and watch as a person's face falls when they realize I'm female. I see it in some folks who see my tattoos and shake their head in disapproval that I'd mark my body.

I will disappoint people as a pastor because I will make a mistake and/or forget something. Yes I try to remember what I'm told on the fly, but my brain is not as good as it once was. Sunday mornings before and after worship are not always the best time to tell me things because my brain wrestles with many things. (Note - help your pastor out and write stuff down for us. We thank you in advance.)

I will disappoint people by my choice to schedule time off when they feel that I should be present with them. While I personally, and many of my colleagues do the same, will attend to true crisis during our off time, others have different values, priorities and expectations for my time and life. I am aware, both right and wrong, that every single member of a congregation believes they have a right to me. Some believe that because they contribute to my salary, that they own me. While I am happy to respond and meet with people, I also need to be away from others, I need time to refresh and rest. So when people call me after hours, on days off or when I'm in hospital myself, I may not answer you and if I do answer I may not be willing to meet with you right away. Not every perceived emergency is one.

But the hardest time that I watch people be disappointed in me as a pastor (often this also transfers to me as a person too) is when I don't agree with a person on their theological point of view.  This most often happens over my radical hospitality and refusal to condemn the "other." I won't pretend that I'm perfect at the non-condemning part because I get pushed to the point of having to really bite my tongue. I do my best to not take things personally when people stop attending and/or leave a congregation I serve, but it often has a personal element to it. People refuse to stay in a congregation that has a pastor who personally welcomes all, despite the congregation's own policies.  People refuse to even acknowledge my presence or worth because I'm female and serve God with the title pastor.

I do not like to disappoint people. I have this part of me that wants to be perfect at all times. But reality is that I will disappoint you at some point in my life or ministry. If that disappointment is because I truly made a mistake, let me apologize to you; I am sorry. I hope that I will learn from what I did, or maybe didn't do, and do better in the future. However, if your disappointment in me has to do with you not being happy that I am taking time for myself, that I did not comply with your request or expectations immediately, I will not apologize to you.

Instead I'm going to push back by asking you to reconsider your expectations of me. For any minister I ask you to consider: 1) are your expectations fair and realistic of the minister? Could you or would you be willing to live your life at the congregation's beck and call? 2) Are you willing to adequately compensate your minister for all of the time you want them to be available? Most ministers are contracted for 40 hours a week but often work over that. Are you willing to let us have comp time or start paying overtime to your minister? 3) Would you be able to meet the expectations if you were the minister? Would you want too? I don't ask these questions to point fingers but as a way to invite you to consider the other and to think beyond what you want and think you need. It's an invitation to consider what your minister wants and needs. Maybe there would be a little less disappointment and a little more grace happening in our world if we asked these questions of ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people