Skip to main content

I'm a Minister and I Buy Girl Scout Cookies and I'm a Troop Leader

It's that time of year where every weekend, as you go out, you will hear the phrase "would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?" Girl Scout cookie season, loved by those of us who need our yearly "fix" and yet it is also one of the most despised times of the year by some Christian groups who want to protest the sales of Girl Scout cookies.

Here's are two reasons for protesting Girl Scout cookies: Girl Scouts, along with many other non profit organizations, receive grant money from the United Way. Planned Parenthood also happens to receive money from United Way. Because of the this, groups who are anti-abortion believe that by buying Girl Scout cookies, it is money going to support Planned Parenthood. Second arguement is that we have lost our "Christian way" and we need to come back to being more faith based.

So as a lifetime member of Girl Scouts (I'm celebrating 25 years of girl and adult membership - gee I'm old now), active leader of 2 troops and a volunteer trainer in 2 different councils, let me share with you some of what's really going on.

1) The only connection that Girl Scouts and Planned Parenthood has is that they both receive grants from the United Way, that is all. We do not cross promote, we do not support each other, we do not give each other money - ever!

2) Girl Scouts believes that important decisions, regarding health and other topics, are ones to be had in a private setting - specifically with your family and loved ones. We do not teach about sexuality or sexual health. We encourage our girls to have those conversations with their parents/guardians so that those conversations are shaped by the culture and values that each individual family believes in and wants instilled in their girl(s). As a trainer of other leaders, the only thing that we teach about is the fact that we are an organization that works with girls and that you need to be prepared for someone to start menstruating when you're out and about. That means we tell leaders to pack feminine hygiene products with them at all times (and they're also great for fire starters and other first aid needs by the way). That is the end of discussion. Again we strongly encourage leaders that if anything more comes up that you refer the girl(s) back to their family unit/guardian for further discussion.

3) Girl Scouts has never been a "Christian" organization. We are an organization that is dedicated to building girls and women of "courage, confidence, and character." We do have the option for girls and/or troops to earn religious pins if they so desire but it is not required. We encourage girls to do this work through their particular faith tradition, as many denominations have now created curriculum or adapted what currently exists to be more specific to their own tradition. No one is required to do this but no one is excluded either. We do carry on some traditions that fit well into many faith traditions: singing grace before meals, having ceremonies to show appreciation and remember our "Green Angels" (Girl Scouts who have died). But again we do not force anyone to participate. We encourage those that use other names for God to use whatever name is most fitting to their faith tradition and beliefs. We encourage those that don't want to participate or who choose not to for whatever reason to do so in respectful ways. To me this is living out the Christian faith in a way that's aligned with "the Jesus Way."

So when people call for a boycott of Girl Scout cookies here's what you're saying/doing: don't support girls and women to have a variety of opportunities, some of which these girls and women would not have the chance to do any other way. You're not supporting the work that girls do in their communities that brings about change by support of various community organizations, creation of countless projects that benefit communities (little libraries, dog parks, anti-bulling curriculum, food/clothing bank creation and support, and so many other things that I don't have space or time to list). You're saying that we need to cut funding to programs that helps girls because strong and independent women and have paths to teach girls about STEAM (science, technology, education, agriculture and math).

Now I'm not going to lie and say that as a leader I always enjoy cookie season - it is extra work making sure everything is right with orders, money, council withdrawals, etc. etc. But here's just 1 story to explain why I'm both a minister and a troop leader. 3 years ago one of my girls joined my troop and she was a very shy and quiet. She has social anxiety and for her even talking to me, loud enough for me to hear her was a major accomplishment. Then came cookie season and cookie booths. She learned how to be loud and the first year I watched and was so proud when she was the loudest girl out there chanting "Girl Scout cookies." The next year I was further amazed and proud as she would ask people loud and clearly if they "would like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?" and would respond with "thanks any ways" or "what would you like?" I have watched her gain self confidence as she's better at counting change in her head then my older troop girls and me half the time. This one girl's life has been so changed by being a part of Girl Scouts that at this year's council overnight she was leading the pack during the scavenger hunt and dance party. Yes she still has social anxiety but it's not so bad any more. She has done things and becoming a leader.

This is really what your support of the Girl Scout cookie program is about. It was why I continue in Girl Scouts and look forward to getting my 50 year pin. Also if you'd like some Girl Scout cookies they're $4 a box and I have a bunch I'd be happy to sell you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people