Skip to main content

I'm a Pastor and I Love My Muslim Brothers and Sisters

  In the aftermath of the events of Paris and San Bernadino, California, there has been quite the backlash against all Muslims. We now have political candidates stating that we need to "register" Muslims and block Muslims from entering the country. The fear and hate speech is out of control and based on ignorance, not the facts. A country that once said that we welcomed people is now saying we welcome only those who look, act, and believe like those in control.
  So as a pastor, let me tell you why I love my Muslim brothers and sisters. First off they are not out to wage a violent, blood "holy way = jihad" against anyone. Jihad is the struggle each Muslim has, within themselves, to lead the most holy and right life. It is not about bloodshed and "killing the infidel." Any Muslim who claims to believe in a holy killing war is misguided and has been denounced by the majority of the world's Muslims. As I write this post, the Western Christian world is in the season of Lent, we time when many take on habits, temptations and other things that can cause distance in our relationship with God and others. Christians are in their own jihad, we just call it by other names.
  Secondly, every time that I have worked with Muslims, gone to a mosque, or just been in the same space, I have always been treated with respect, dignity and grace. I have never been made to feel not welcomed. I have always been offered guidance, been respected and had my presence appreciated. I've often had someone offer to sit with me and show me the way. Many Muslims have answered my questions and offered me guidance and support. I have often been treated better at mosque than I have a churches.
  I find that Muslims embody the same principals I try to use as guideposts in my own life. They are expected to be on both a literal and metaphorical journey to deepen and increase their faith. They are expected to give back and take care of those who have less then they do. Muslims are called to orient their lives to the worship of God, with the calls to prayer going out 5 times a day in Islamic communities. These are all things that I, as a Christian, should be building my life around - an actual living out of my faith and beliefs in the world.
  When I read a translation of the Koran, it contains the same messages that I get from reading my Protestant Christian bible: love, peace, faithfulness, hospitality, service, devotion just to name a few. The wording might not be the same and the words may not be printed in red but the words of the Koran are no less than those I read in my Bible.
  Because of all of these things and more I must say that I love my Muslim brothers and sisters in God/Allah (Allah is the Arabic word for God). We are striving for the same thing. We both come from traditions that have had folks go astray in their understanding and living out of faith (who remembers all of the Crusades? Jim Jones and his cult?) Muslims want to have the same religious freedom that I am granted. When I work to protect my religious freedom, I am also working for Muslims, Buddhists, Jewish, Sikh, and others religious freedom. When I say that God/Allah is so great that God/Allah can love everyone, I mean to include those who do not believe the same way that I do.
  I hope and I pray that the people of the USA will learn to love their Muslim brothers and sisters just as I do. Not because it's the easiest thing to do, but because it is the right and best thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people