Skip to main content

Baccalaureate Sermon 5/10/15 Belle Plaine, Iowa

Congratulations Class of 2015 and also to your families. You've made it to the finish line of high school. Next week you will receive your diplomas and will be officially adults by all standards. You’ll get the speeches that include hearing “The Giving Tree” and other stories to inspire you as you go about what the future holds for you. And while I could use this time to read you one of those inspirational stories, I’m not.
          Instead I’m going to boil it all down for you. Our hopes, dreams and prayers for you all are really this; that you all will be decent human beings in all that you say, do and be. That doesn't seem to be that big of a task. But when we look back at scripture, the accounts of people trying to live a life that is faithful and aligns with God’s purpose for creating us, we see that it’s harder then we think. Ecclesiastes reminds us that there are times for everything. You will be called to be many things, things that you may have never thought of. You’ll be asked to stand on issues that no generation before you will have to take a stand on. Then we hear the words from the Gospel according to Matthew and we see that sometimes you will have to do the best you can do in situations that are less than ideal. You will be called to perform and act in a broken world. You will have to make decisions that will not only affect yourself and your loved ones, but your whole community and world. If that’s not pressure, I don’t know what is.
          So let me see about giving you some hope. You see I find there is hope in these passages because even as messed up as the people in these stories may be or as screwed up as the audience that both the prophet and Jesus are addressing, God still uses them anyways. As imperfect and broken as the people of God are, they still have purpose and meaning. They are still used each and every day to bring about the kingdom of God in the here and now, not in some distant heaven or time. God uses those who seem to be the least likely to make great points and to change the world.
          So as you prepare to go out and figure out how to be decent human beings I’d like to offer you some advice to use along the way. You may not need it all right away but at some point it will come in handy.
          First – for those of you who will ever be living in a dorm situation may I highly encourage and recommend a long bath robe and shower shoes (flip flops). Always take care of your feet because they’re all you get and you never know just who will be in the dorm hallways when you least expect it and a towel does not always work at covering yourself.
          Second – stand your ground, stand up for what you believe is good and right in this world. God has given you the gift of a brain to use to weigh the options and to learn about issues. Do so.
          Third – don’t be afraid to change your opinion, admit that you are wrong (and yes that will mean that at some point you will say your parent/s were right and/or you’re becoming like them) and to keep learning. There are not many things in this world that require you have the same opinion from birth to death. Even though you may give your parents a heart attack when you declare your third change in major or third career choice, you can change your opinion. You can still learn and grow but just make sure you do it with some humility.
          Fourth – Create – find some way to create something. Write, draw, sing in the shower, cook, dance. Find some way every day to create in this world.
          Fifth – don’t be afraid to “kick it old school.” There is nothing wrong with using a coloring book. Take a nap as the time allows. Make a snow angel or have a snow ball fight. Jump in puddles. When you were all little there wasn't much that you didn't think you could do. Engage that spirit from time to time and slow your life down and enjoy the little things.
          Sixth – and this I believe is the most important of all - love. Love each other, love God and love yourself. You are responsible for yourself and your feelings. I hope you will always remember that you were created out of love, you will return to that love and therefore you should always love yourself, even on the days when you don’t feel like it. Even when society or other people say you’re not lovable. Go back and use my second thought and stand your ground because you always have been, you always will be and you are love.
         
          Let us pray-

Gracious and loving God, we come before you this evening to give you thanks and praise for all that we have and all that we are. On this night God, we come before you to ask a special blessing on the Class of 2015 as they prepare to end one part of their journey and start the next. Inspire them with courage, compassion and love to live in a way that fulfills the desires you had in creating each and every one of them. Remind them of your unending guidance and never failing presence in their lives. Help them tap into your unending love that lives and dwells in us all because you loved us so much. We ask all these things and more for them and your whole creation. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people