Skip to main content

Sermon from April 4/12/15 - A Board Meeting Sunday

Scripture readings are Acts 4:32-35 and 1 John 1: 1-2:2
          So what do you hear or think about when we look at these scripture readings? Usually with the Acts reading, people think of Communism, not the China/North Korea version of it. But true, real communism, where everyone is taken care of and has what they need. Most folks don’t react very well with this concept today, especially in Western society because we've all earned what we have and if you don’t have what you need then you’re not trying hard enough. Let’s face it we've all had those thoughts running through our heads when we see someone asking for change or when you get in a line behind someone who’s using WIC to buy milk, juice, formula and other basic items and the cashier has no idea how to ring it up in the computer system so you have to wait a few minutes longer. Isn't it interesting how fast we jump to assume that these people have “earned” what they have and to judgment? The fact of the matter is that while there are is a small minority of folks who do use and abuse the system, as there always have been, there are a lot of myths circulating to perpetuate a system that ensures some have way more than they need. Looking at this scripture about how one group of early Christians gathered and attempted to live – I don’t see anywhere that says there are qualifications or judgments to be made for someone who has a need. It just states that what they had was “distributed to each as any had need.”
          Then we hear the words coming from 1 John, a book attributed to the author of John, but most likely not the same person at all. The author makes a clear theological statement about who God is: God is light. And then it goes on to tell us how we know who really is living a Christian life: we are a people who make mistakes but then because of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection, we are forgiven and given another chance. If someone says that they’re faultless – well – they’re liars. Now the author uses some classic writing techniques of the time to spell this out, but that’s the jest of this chapter of 1 John. That kind of smacks us in the face. We can all agree that we like the idea of God as Light – that’s why we light the Christ candles on the altar every week. It’s a visual reminder about who we say God and Christ is and are. They’re here, now with us. We bring God, Christ and the Holy Spirit into this place and then we extinguish the candles and take the light of God, Christ and the Holy Spirit out with us into the world. It makes being a Christian more than just coming and going from this building. It means we are called to more in our living.
          What is clear about these 2 scripture readings is that they both speak to the community of faith and address how they should be. In ancient times, everyone was very concerned about themselves and about how through property ownership, including people as property, arranged marriages could build their legacy. But oh wait, aren't we concerned about that today too? What kind of legacy will we be leaving? So maybe we don’t force people into arranged marriages but I don’t know about you but there were certain unspoken expectations for me of who I should or shouldn't date. And we’re still concerned about what we own and have this day. If you watch the TV on Sunday mornings, in-between church services there’s a lot of programming about estate planning. Will you have enough? What will you be leaving your family? And this is all done with pictures of cruise vacations and nice convertible cars in the background making us think that this is what’s really important. Now don’t get me wrong, I would like to take a cruise vacation and drive a convertible on a nice weekend but is that really what our community should really be about? Clearly society, our larger community, thinks so.

          So which community do we want to be most like: the community that society tells us to be about or the one that God is asking to be a part? What does that mean for how we conduct ourselves and “be Christians?” Think about these things as we prepare for our board meeting today. How are we being Christian in our board meetings – what is our main concern? Are we focused on ourselves or are we looking out to our community? How would you, me, we be changed if we were as concerned about the community as these early Christians were? Let us pray…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you quote the Bible?

In a conversation with a more conservative Christian then me (take in mind I call myself a bed-wetting liberal and I’m also a big time Process Theologian) the person started rambling off scripture quotes (proof texting really) to make a point. I have never claimed to be a great memorizer of anything. And even though I have read the Bible many times and own many copies of the Bible, I am still not a person who can just pull out scripture references in mid conversation. I do have several verses that I turn to and love dearly but I can’t tell you word for word what John 2:5 or Ruth 1:4 says. This got me thinking, why do Christians really feel the need to qualify their faith based on the amount of scripture that they can recite from memory? While it may be very handy to be able to quote scripture in a variety of situations, I believe that this can be dangerous. Proof texting (pulling scripture, from any religion, to support an argument without careful and learned consideration for its cont

Conflict in a Church - 1

As I watch a congregation I’m very familiar with spiral out of control I’m forced to sit and reflect on what went so wrong? Why does it seem like the only options are to either fire the minister or close the doors? When I think back the problems began before this minister was even hired. This is a congregation that wants to and likes to say that it’s a welcoming and friendly place. But in reality it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 20 some years I’ve known it. Groups of people made sure that other people knew that they were below them. They were operating then on the mentality that we did this 50 years ago so we need to keep doing it. And as for being welcoming… well with you weren’t middle-class, preferably upper middle-class and white well don’t bother walking through the door. These are all issues that existed 20 years ago and were never addressed. And shockingly these are still issues in the congregation today. Clearly this church has decided to put its head in the sand and live in th

4th of July Worship

I am an American; born here in the USA, lived here all of my life. I do like this country. I don’t always agree with the way it works or who’s running it but I’m here and I know that there are millions of people who are less fortunate in the world then me. I am thankful that I have the rights that I have and the access to so much. I know the “Star Spangled Banner” and I sing patriotic songs and like most of them. However, on July 4th Sunday (or the Sunday closest to the 4th of July), I find it hard to be in worship in congregations that structure the theme around God Bless the USA/America. I find it hard to sit there and look at church chancels that are adorned with the American flag and if people noticed where I sit it’s so it’s not in my eyesight while I worship. It bothers me that people get all festive, wearing red, white and blue to worship, but can’t remember the colors of the liturgical year. This bothers me because as Christians we are called to worship the God of all people